Monday 15 September 2014

'My Complements' to You and Other Abstractions...



What started as an exercise to compare pairs of complementary colours (those opposite each other on the colour wheel) and the impact of varying amounts of each colour became a small wall quilt which I'm really happy with. 

The impetus to get it finished was the South Coast and Country Quilters' Guild show which I had entered it in - so, for once a deadline......

Pairs of complementary colours from my earlier hand dyed fabric.

I quilted it using straight lines  a quarter of an inch apart. I had considered straight line quilting but after watching a Craftsy class with Jacquie Gering (Quilting with a Walking Foot) the idea was confirmed, ultimately creating a modern look I think.

The back was cobbled together with some of the less successful fabrics - but they seemed to work - and a hanging sleeve as required........
 This small piece was my entry into the challenge for the same show - 'I See Red'
Another small abstract pieced together as I went along until it felt balanced.

I then quilted it with another of Jacquie Gering's straight line techniques using two focal points, which again I was very happy with.


I couldn't get to the show but was pleased I made the effort to enter. It was a good mental shift from the renovation and other life events tossed into the mix.

Sue xxxx

No comments:

Post a Comment