Tuesday 11 February 2014

Greyscale II

I repeated the greyscale gradation using three different fabrics to see what the differences would be and it was quite enlightening........


The initial results using sheeting (a slighly ivory / cream base cloth) which produced results more blueish grey than what I would immediately call grey......

Left page: results using a very white cotton base cloth. Right page: results using Kona cotton (PFD 1287) which also has a slight cream tone.

White cotton gauzy muslin and undyed samples of each cloth.

The two very white base cloths yielded results closer to the dye painted onto white paper - which I guess shouldn't really be a surprise.....
Following Elizabeth Barton's suggestion I also made small posters using a small sample from each piece. By putting them side-by-side the differences are more apparent. Each fabric (left to right - sheeting, white cotton, Kona 1287 and muslin) was dyed using the same concentration of dye solution + water.......



The four sets of fabric together.....
Snippets of each fabric and colour .....


Jumping ahead to lesson three while the dye was out I tried some Arashi Shibori...


I think I will rewrap this one and overdye it using a darker concentration of the same colour...

This one has some areas that should be usable........

All in all a great learning experience. Hope to show something made with it in the near future,

Sue xxxx

PS: My record keeping is not usually quite as neat and tidy as this but I rather like the look of it..


No comments:

Post a Comment