Sunday 19 January 2014

Lesson 1 - Grey scale

Or in my case, let's call it blue-grey scale.......

The dyeing session itself was both fun and informative, however the results were a little different to what was anticipated - my fabrics are much bluer than expected........the photos don't do the true colours justice - you may have to take my word on that.

 Next to a commercial grey fabric they definitely look bluer.......

However, next to a blue fabric they look greyer......


So follows a bit of analysis and the answer I think lies here......my PFD fabric (sheeting) is slightly more ivory / cream than white which I'm pretty sure has skewed the results a bit......(not that I'm complaining, I actually prefer creams to stark white and the colours I have are beautiful - and in fact very 'me'.....


Here they are in the photo edited into B&W.....


I can see a couple of issues with the gradation as well - there could be more differentiation between the various stages.

I also left them overnight with the soda ash solution on them so maybe that is something else to change.

I found some white cotton in my stash so I think the experiment bears repeating after I wash it in case it's not PFD.

Whatever the result I have some lovely additions to my stash of hand-dyed fabric and a bit more knowledge under my belt about the process of fabric dyeing and the relative relationships between colours. They should be fine for my 'homework' when I get to it - a few things to do before then,

Sue xxxx

No comments:

Post a Comment