Sunday 3 November 2013

Messing Around in Boats

Alternatively, 'Father's Day - two months late'.......

What do you do when no children are available to meet up on Father's Day and some of your best friends have realised a life-long ambition and bought a boat? The only sensible thing - pack some food and wine and join them on a small adventure in Jervis Bay.......

The father of my children with a friend we watched become a father and now a grandfather - twice.....
I am not normally interested in things nautical but this craft is a thing of beauty.....and big enough to feel very comfortable on........


Don't ask me what any of those ropes are for.


Our faithful little friend followed us everywhere - which was just as well or we'd still be on the catamaran...

 
'Hole in the Wall' - our overnight mooring spot.

Dawn over Point Perpendicular Lighthouse


I wouldn't normally show pictures of myself, especially in my flannel pyjamas, but this is just to prove to some people (you know who you are) that I was up to see the dawn - and it was a stunner....


We discovered next morning we were not alone - this boat joined us....

....and this one....but as you can see there was plenty of room.....and a quiet calm which was a joy.
 

As we were moored in a non-fishing zone it was deemed necessary to move so the fathers could wet a line and aim to catch breakfast or lunch - fortunately we had bacon and eggs on board. (The mothers retired with cups of tea and books til breakfast time.)

 

The rock strata provided food for thought.....


Target Beach - the breakfast spot


 
Coffee - post bacon and eggs......expertly prepared by the fathers.....
 
 

Outside the bay looking back to the lighthouse....


 

The following afternoon  it fell to me to safeguard the gear while the others took the boat to its permanent mooring which was definitely no hardship as it presented me with opportunities to practise my photography - high and low horizon shots for sketching (maybe I'm kidding myself there) and close-ups of the water and reflections, all the while wondering how you would go about painting that - or even stitching it......think texture and pattern and shapes - at least that's what I told myself.

 
 
 
 






A modern quilting pattern?

Zigzag stitching or wet-in-wet watercolour?





Light and shade?
 
One of my favourite Australian plants - Tea Tree...... 
 

 
All too soon the others returned and we left the serenity of the Bay and joined the madness on the highway to get the workers back home to prepare for the week. 
 
A perfect sunset to finish the day.......

 
 Both fathers thoroughly enjoyed themselves - and the mothers survived, too. Actually, children? What children?......
 
Sue xxxx
 
 
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment