Thursday 16 May 2013

Rhubarb - Part 2........


As I mentioned in an earlier post I would be looking out for rhubarb on my travels along the 'Silk Road'. (If you are just joining me there was a valid reason, I promise - see original post 'Rhubarb'.)

Well, I found it.

First up in a market in Samarkand, Uzbekistan........

(Maybe not the ruby red ours is, but certainly rhubarb.)


(This gent asked to have his picture taken, too.)


Then being sold at a market in Uzgen, in Kyrgyzstan.......



by two delightful women who thought it was absolutely hilarious to see their photos in my camera ...........and no doubt thought I was crazy.....


It was growing wild in the mountain pass of Chichkan Gorge.....




.....on the banks of a remnant of a wall at the Burana Historical Complex.....


which archeologists believe to be either part of a palace wall or temple complex from the ancient town on the site dating back to the 10th century and earlier. 



.....close to the Burana Minaret.....



The minaret survived Ghengis Khan but lost it's top in an earthquake in the 15th century. The octagonal base has also been restored as over the years the locals had been removing bricks for their own buildings. 


(The view beyond the complex...)



......and along the roadside between Bishkek, capital of Kyrgyzstan and Almaty in Kazakhstan.



Although it seemed to be readily available I saw no indication of how it is used today - whether it's food or medicine - so it's still a bit of a mystery as to why it was so important to the ancient traders and travellers.

I'm a bit relieved the name 'Silk Road' was conjured up as I have far more to say on that topic. (What a surprise!) Definitely more interesting than rhubarb...........



(A sneak peek of what's to come, but I think you'll agree.)


Sue xxx


No comments:

Post a Comment